Saturday, May 9, 2009

Neat Genealogy Find


HI everyone! Well now that classes are over I needed a hobby so I bought some new genealogy software to start digging up more sourced info from what I found last time.....and I am having the best time.


So far my favorite discovery has been this ship manifest from the "Charles Crooker", which arrived in New York on May 31, 1852. (You can double-click on it to make it bigger so you can read it.)


Catherine Schmitt, 21, was on board with her sister Anna who was 17. They were from Germany and had gotten on the boat in LeHavre, France.


Catherine Schmitt married Balthazar Vogel in 1854 and their son Henry was Grandma Hentz's dad.


Ellis Island didn't open until 1890, so they docked at "Castle Garden" port which is at the tip of Battery Park in lower Manhattan. The Castle Garden website has Catherine and Anna both listed as "farmers" but when you see the actual ship manifest (above) you can see that the person writing everyone's names down listed everyone's occupation as "farmers". I guess that was the quickest way to do it.


This stuff is so exciting and fascinating to me, thought I'd share. I have lots of census records printed up also, and would love to show you all if I'm lucky enough to see you this summer. Our deck is open and Scott will be starting a new batch of beer shortly so please accept our open inviations to come any time!!


Hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow. - Julie

No comments:

Followers